The Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking an Academic Advisor for the Anthropology Undergraduate Advising office. This office serves the approximately 200 undergraduate majors and minors in the department. This is a full time, twelve-month academic professional position.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide academic advising to students on degree requirements and course selection, both declared anthropology majors and potential majors.
• Maintain student records & files and compile annual statistics related to our undergraduate curriculum
• Represent the Department of Anthropology at multiple campus–wide and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences recruiting events, for example Admitted Student days, Orange and Blue Days, Majors and Minors Fair.
• Meet with prospective students (and their families) to promote the Department of Anthropology’s undergraduate program (advising the students on degree requirements, course selection, and opportunities for students who graduate with an anthropology degree)
• Organize and conduct recruitment events and create media communications (via website and social media) to engage with potential anthropology majors
• Provide advising and assistance to incoming freshmen and transfer students during summer orientation/registrations in coordination with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
• Teach or co-teach in gateway and capstone courses in the undergraduate curriculum • Work with the Director of Undergraduate Studies on courses and curriculum development and related tasks
• Advocate on behalf of students who are experiencing personal or medical complications and work in partnership with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and other resources on campus to develop viable plans for completion.
Bachelor’s degree in anthropology or closely related social science, biological science or humanities field,
1 year of mentoring, counseling or advising experience is required,
Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with diverse groups,
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues,
Excellent written and oral communication skills,
Familiarity with the discipline of anthropology
Demonstrated knowledge and experience using social media platforms and/or with website design and maintenance,
Classroom teaching experience.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting date is as soon after Jan 4, 2016 as possible.
TO APPLY: Please create your candidate profile and upload a cover letter and CV/resume through https://jobs.illinois.edu. For full consideration, all requested information including the names and contact information (Phone and Email) of 3 professional references must be submitted by November 20th, 2015. For information, contact Dr. Brenda Farnell, email@example.com or 217-333-3616.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).